What is Coronavirus COVID-19?
Coronavirus COVID-19 is a new respiratory virus that began spreading in people in December 2019. The virus was first identified in Wuhan, China. The virus spreads in a similar fashion as influenza. When an infected person sneezes or coughs, people near them can breathe in infected droplets. The virus can also be spread when someone touches an object contaminated with the virus and then touches their mouth, face, or eyes.
There currently are 4,782 confirmed case of Coronavirus COVID-19 in Ohio. The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) along with other public health agencies such as the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) are closely monitoring the spread of this infection.
Read the most up-to-date information from ODH by clicking the button below.
Ohio Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline: 1-833-4ASKODH (1-833-427-5634)
What Can Assisted Living Providers do to Prepare?
- Encourage frequent hand washing and use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers
- Cover coughs and sneezes (note that the CDC does not currently recommend the use of face masks for the general public)
- Stay home when you are sick and encourage staff and visitors to do the same
- Review your current infection control guidelines, policies and procedures to ensure they follow current recommendations to prevent the spread of illnesses
- Visit trusted sources and share information that is current and fact-based. Sign up for automatic email updates from public health agencies to stay informed.
- Provide training and education on topics such as hand hygiene and proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Prevent spreading infection to other healthcare facilities by informing providers prior to transferring residents with suspected or confirmed respiratory illness
OALA is committed to providing resources to all assisted living providers through this unprecedented time.
ODH Information Disseminated March 26, 2020 - Click Links Below:
Coronavirus Preparation & Response Toolkit
This toolkit from Argentum contains resources, links, and suggested best practices for a thoughtful approach to coronavirus preparation and response in senior living communities.
COVID-19 Resource Links
- Print Resources from the CDC (including posters and handouts)
- CDC Overview
- Steps Healthcare Facilities Can Take Now to Prepare
- Coronavirus Resources for Healthcare Facilities
- Infection Control Guidelines and Recommendations
- FAQs for Healthcare Professionals
- Latest Updates from the World Health Organization
- Debunking Myths about the Coronavirus
- WHO Press Releases